Announcing the 2017 Campus Archaeology Field School!
We are pleased to once again offer our on-campus field school. This five week field school will take place May 30th – June 30th, 2017. The class takes places Monday through Friday from 9am – 4pm. Students enroll for 6 credits of ANP 464. This class is open to MSU students and non-MSU students. There is a $150 equipment fee that is used to supply students with excavation tools. At the end of the field school students will keep this toolkit. Space is limited to 20 students, and applications are due to Dr. Goldstein (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 5th.
Through excavation, lab work, and digital outreach students will examines several unique and interesting places on MSU’s historic campus. In this course students will get the opportunity to actively engage in archaeological research. You will learn excavation methods, survey techniques, how to map and record an excavation unit, laboratory methods, cultural heritage and digital outreach engagement, as well as an introduction to archival research.
This summer we plan to excavate in two areas: Beal’s Botanial Lab and Station Terrace.
Dr. Beal is an important person in early campus history. Though Beal served as a botany professor at MSU (then MAC) from 1871-1910, he made mark on campus that survives to this day. The Beal botanical garden (directly east of the MSU main library), established in 1873 is the oldest continuously operated university botanical garden in the U.S. Beal also started, what is today, one of the longest continuously running experiments in the world! In 1879 Beal buried 20 bottles containing seeds with the intent to see how long a seed could lay dormant and still germinate. The next bottle is scheduled to be dug up and opened in 2020. The location of the experimental bottles is a closely held campus secret. Beal was known as an incredibly eccentric professor, and the design of his first botanical laboratory was fittingly eccentric as well.
Built in 1879 (more detail), this building burned to the ground on March 23rd 1890. Although specific details about the fire have been lost over time, we do know that lab equipment (such as microscopes) was salvaged from the wreckage and the fire prompted the university to establish a fire brigade. We’ve established that portions of the building foundation still exists, and field school students will have the opportunity to excavate in this location.
Station Terrace stood at the souther end of what is now the Abbot street entrance. This building was constructed between 1892-1895 and originally housed visiting scholars from the experimental research stations. It was also later used to house bachelor faculty members, the East Lansing Post Office, and the Flower Pot Tea room (read more). The building was moved off campus in the early 20s but the foundation, as well as many artifacts remain. After excavations at Beal’s lab it’s expected that the field school will move to this second location.
For more information about the field school, head on over to the field school webpage.
Download the application. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have here, on Twitter, or email Dr. Goldstein directly.