We began with setting up our units after clearing the top layer of the entire surface. We had some big roots in the northwest and southwest corners that we had to dig around to get the guide corners to the correct depths. There was a layer of clay that had to be worked through while shovel skimming to get our first level even with the guide holes.
We found many rusty nails, at first they seemed randomly spread out in our unit, but once we got down a little deeper with shovel skimming the nails seem to be concentrated on the western side of our unit. The western side has darker soil than the east, which has a layer of clay that goes deeper than the other, with the difference running almost down the middle of our unit. We also found some pieces of broken glass in the western side.
After having gone down the first 10 centimeters below the line level line, Dr. Goldstein decided that the first level was still too shallow due to the natural slope. We needed to go down an extra 10 centimeters in our guide holes in order to make sure the first level was even. After working through roots and clay, we have gotten our first level almost all the way down to the correct depth and kept it level, so tomorrow we should be able to finish it up.