Too soon to end

_DSC0184To think that time couldn’t come any faster- it’s been four weeks of 9am – 4pm class session and next week is the last week. I have learned many new things about archaeology and myself. It has been challenging to master how to shovel skim, trowel, and take elevation in such a short amount of time but has given me a better perspective of what archaeology.

Digging from level 1 to level 6, 10cm each level, the amount of artifacts we have found has increased to more than 2 bags. In the beginning of dig we found several small glass fragments and ceramics. But now at level 5 we have found larger pieces of glass fragments, ceramics, and more nails.

But it is not just finding those artifacts that make archaeology great but where they come from. Several ceramics have had maker’s marks that can tie them to where they are from; it can help when doing research about the item. In level four, we found three artifacts with beautiful maker’s marks with words like England and China printed on them. The glass fragments we found could have been from bottles or window glass. Bottle glass has a curve to it while window glasses are flat. In level 6, we have found larger pieces of nails instead of the regular small ones that we have been finding in previous levels.

On rain days we have been in the archaeology lab cleaning the artifacts we have collected from the field. We use a toothbrush to carefully wash and clean away the dirt. This is to give us a clearer visual of our artifacts so we can conduct research on them. It takes a long time to wash and clean them because there are a lot of artifacts but also because there are small pieces that needs to be cleaned carefully.

Our last activity is to create a video. My video will be focused on screening with a sifter. I plan to make the video about the importance of screening and being careful with the artifacts. LEADR taught us how to use camtasia, a video editing software. It seems really simple to use but I am more comfortable with iMovie and will be using that to create my video. I also had to shoot some more videos with different angles so my audience can see the sifter from different points of views. There is not much to screening but to be careful that you don’t lose any artifact especially small fragments of glass.

For my last post, to sum up my journey, the best part of this field school is being able to have hands on experience and having great site leaders to guide me. Without their help and patience, I would have not obtained the skills and knowledge I have. Also, a big thanks to Dr. Goldstein for getting this course together and allowing me to take it. I hope future students of ANP 464 takes as much or even more out of this class as I did.

I am the expert in Unit A.